Getting back into my fall regimen has been tough, but its time to head back to the gym and curb my calorie intake. If you are like me and in need of a quick healthy lunch option then the salad jar is the perfect option. Its healthy, quick, and easy to prepare. So lets get started!
Prep Time: 35 minutes
What You Will Need:
- 4 quart sized mason jars
- 1 cup of uncooked quinoa/brown rice
- 1 medium sized tomato chopped
- 1 medium cucumber/zuchinni chopped
- 1 medium bell pepper chopped
- 1 small carrot chopped
- 8 tablespoons of your favorite salad dressing
- 4 small chicken breasts chopped
- 4 cups of washed and dry spinach/leafy greens
*Make sure you disperse all ingredients evenly between the 4 jars
- Prepare quinoa/brown rice as you would normally and let cool.
- Rinse and pat dry your spinach/leafy greens.
- Add your favorite dressing to the bottom of each jar. I usually add a light vinaigrette
- Add 1/2 cup of cooked quinoa to each jar.
- Evenly distribute chopped carrots, tomato, bell pepper, cucumber/zuchinni to each jar.
- Add chopped chicken breasts to each jar.
- Pat dry your spinach/leafy greens and add to the top of each jar.
- Store in fridge upright until you are ready to eat
- Shake and eat from the jar or dump everything into a bowl and enjoy!
These salad jars usually can last 4-5 days in the fridge. Which is pretty perfect for the work week. You can also apply this same process for a fruit salad and mix up the ingredients and portions to your liking. The key to the perfect salad jar is to add your dressing first, keep absorbant food in the middle, and add your dried greens last.
Have you tried a salad jar recipe? Whats one of your favorite lunch recipes? Hit me up in the comments section below.